September 21, 2009

Drama Script Draft 7 (Final)

Edited by: Yan Ying (overall). Added a couple of monologues for Sophie too.

I've also taken away the lighting cues because they are supposed to be on a separate prompt sheet. I left the blockings alone, and transitions (enter from stage right/left blah) too, though I will upload Cheryl's transition cues later. If there are any clashes, follow Cheryl's, don't follow the script's.

Scene 1: Fight between Sophie’s Parents and the Mafia

Sophie on CSL, parents on CSR.

Sophie: (slowly looks up at audience) Hello. My name is Sophie. I am seven years old.
(pause)
I live in an Orphanage.
(pause)
My parents died 2 years ago.

Father and Mother holding hands. Bright smiles.
Father: Sophie is a good girl. She scores straight As for all her subjects, never talks back to her parents. She never disappoints us.
Mother: Such a pretty girl! She’s an angel sent from heaven, a gift no one can take away from us. We are very proud of Sophie.

Sophie: They died. Because someone from the mafia killed them.

RHM and 2 Followers enter from Stage Right.
Follower 1: This is the place?
RHM: Positive.

RHM snaps fingers.
Follower 1 grabs Father and puts gun to his head.
Follower 2 grabs Mother and puts gun to her head.


Father: I said we won’t let you have her. She’s just a normal girl, no superhuman abilities, I don’t know where you get that idea from-
Follower 1: Shut up!
Mother: Please let us go, what more do you want? We’ve given you the money, if you want more, just tell us! Sophie’s just a little girl-
RHM: Sophie? So that’s her name, is it? Sophie... It’s a nice name, perfect for a girl like her.
Mother: Don’t hurt her, please!
RHM: Look, I am not to blame. You both made a choice and there’s no going back on it. (tell Followers) Get rid of them, make it quick.

Sophie: I saw everything. I hid in the bedroom.
(pause)
They didn’t see me.
(pause)
But I know how they look like.
(pause)
And I will find them one day.
Sophie smiles ominously at the audience.

Everyone offstage.

Scene 2: Sophie’s Abilities are Shown

Sophie is playing a teddy bear by herself at CSC.
Bully with his friends sees Sophie and smiles cheekily before making his way towards her. Friends surround Bully as if he/she is a 大哥大.
Bully snatches the teddy.

Sophie: (indignant and angry) Hey! Give that back!

Bully holds the bear high up in the air and makes taunting sounds e.g. “nananipupu” etc.

Sophie: Hmph! (turns away, back facing Bully)
Bully: Hah! Got your teddy now. Aren’t you crying? Like you did when you first came to this place? Ha! You were such a crybaby then. Oh wait, you still are one!

Bully and friends laugh.
Sophie gives stern, warning look that forebodes that something is about to happen.


Sophie slowly walks towards DSL. Points 1 index finger to her head to show that she is using her special power. The Bully and his other friends stand behind her in one diagonal line.

Bully: I promise I won’t do it again. It wasn’t intentional. I didn’t do it on purpose! They made me do it, I was forced! I was forced! Don’t kill me! Don’t kill me! Don’t kill me! (keeps repeating but softer)

Child 1: Mommy, where are you going? Come back! The crocodile’s coming, save me! I won’t be bad again, I promise, you won’t have to scold me ever again! I love you, please mommy! (keeps repeating but softer)

Child 2: Daddy don’t go! I will never make you sad again, just don’t go, don’t leave me. Where are the doctors taking you? Huh? Daddy please I need you! (keeps repeating but softer)

Child 3: It should never have happened, the car accident! I see them again-daddy and mommy, and now they’re coming back for me! Don’t take me, don’t take me, I am not ready to go yet! (keeps repeating but softer)

Children cries escalate.

Sophie: STOP.

Children cries stop.

Sophie: This is what I am capable of doing. Mafia wants to use me. They want me and my powers of manipulating people, because this beats everything else – mind reading, speed of light, invisibility, super strength. (pause) But I won’t let them have their way. I won’t be their slave.

Everyone offstage.


Scene 3: Sophie meets RHM and Daughter in a park

Sophie enters from Stage left, stands at CSL.
Sophie: Ma’am, I’ll be out for a bit. Will that be alright? I’ll be back by six sharp.

Orphanage Lady voiceover.
Orphanage Lady: That’ll be just fine, but make it five?

Sophie: Yes ma’am.

Sophie walks towards DSL.
Sophie: Two years is a long time. But I’ve been very patient. They think I’m too young to understand, because I didn’t drop a tear during my parents’ funeral. Nor did I the day after, the following week, or the consecutive months. They think they understand more than I do, because they think they are always right. They didn’t know the anger I felt, the anger I still feel, and my desire for revenge.

But it doesn’t matter now. I’ve found out all that I need, and I’m ready.

Sophie carries a book and walks towards bench at CSC. Looks around at the imaginary birds etc. She inhales deeply and stretches.
Sophie: Ah~ (relaxes)

RHM and Daughter enter from Stage Right. They walk, holding hands, from stage right to left. They drop a wallet near the bench but they don’t notice. Sophie sees that and she picks the wallet up and calls towards them.

Sophie: Excuse me! (holds wallet)
RHM and Daughter turn around.

Sophie: Um, you dropped your wallet. (holds out wallet to Daughter)

At this point, RHM and Sophie make eye contact.
Sophie continues staring at RHM as Daughter takes the wallet from her.


Daughter: Thank you, you’re such an angel! What’s your name?
Sophie: (Continues staring at RHM) Sophie.
Daughter: Hey that’s a sweet name! Do you want me to, like, you know, buy a drink or something?
Sophie: (Continues staring at RHM) No, there is no need to.
Daughter: (Realizes the connection between Sophie and RHM) Oh um, okay then, thanks again my dear! (takes RHM by the hand and drags him off) Come on, let’s go.

Both RHM and Daughter exit stage left.

Sophie: I’m sure of it. He killed my parents. He hasn’t changed one bit, has he? That scar he has, it gives him away. Everything will be easier now. And the girl – well, she’s easy. All I have to do is to get closer to them to avenge for my parents. I’ll take it step by step...I can and I will.

Sophie offstage.


Scene 4: Mafia realizes that Sophie is alive

Mafia Leader is smoking a cigarette. He is at his desk conversing with Follower 3.
RHM and Daughter have just returned from their activities for the day and are now in Mafia HQ. Daughter sits on one of the chairs/tables.


Daughter: To be honest, I’m quite worried about the present situation. You have to admit that things aren’t looking very good right now, what with the police being on high alert ever since that fight two weeks ago. The casualties on our side were more than we had predicted.

RHM: (sigh) Enough, okay? Can we stop fretting over this? What’s done is done.

Daughter: Well I told you it wasn’t a good idea, but you didn’t want to listen. You’re always like that-

RHM: Wait, can we not do this today, there are other things weighing on my mind. (pause) Things that you don’t even know about.

Silence.

Daughter: Fine. I’m turning in to bed.

Daughter exits.
At the same time, Follower 3 walks over after conversing with Mafia Leader at his desk. He addresses RHM, all the while standing a respectable distance away from RHM.

Follower 3: Sir...our research department found something. (hands RHM a document) Do you recall the couple with special abilities that you killed a few years ago?
RHM: Those two? The one that boss wanted dead? Yeah. I remember them. What about? (idly flips through the document)
Follower 3: Well, you tried for weeks and couldn’t find their daughter. But she’s back now.
RHM: Go on.
Follower 3: She looks almost exactly like her mothers and she is still alive. Boss wants you to get rid of her as soon as possible. See? Here is a picture of her… (points to a picture on the document)
RHM: (scrutinizes picture) Wait a minute…I-I think I’ve seen her somewhere before… (sits up and looks closely) Its her! The one we saw at the park!

RHM and Follower 3 freeze.
Sophie comes out from stage left, stands at Left Emcee Spot.

Sophie: (looks on at the other 2 characters) They are fast, faster than I think. Now that they have found out who I am. I have to act fast. Yes, I will carry out the plan tonight using the special ability I possess. I know exactly where their hideout is and I know how to sneak in – by that broken window at the other side of the alley. I know which room each of them sleep in, which safe they keep their guns, what time they turn in for bed and what time they wake up. Two years of intense research don’t go futile.

They will pay for what they did to my parents, especially the mastermind who wanted my parents dead.

Everyone except Sophie offstage.


Scene 5: Sophie Manipulates RHM and Daughter to kill Mafia Leader (Climax)

Sophie is standing at left emcee spot. Mafia leader is sleeping on a bed at CSC, bodyguard by his side, but not so close.

Sophie: Just need to try… (gives an expression of concentration)
Sophie: (looks at audience) It may work just perfectly. I’m not sure. Slowly, just slowly. (One fingers pointing to her head to show that she is using her special powers)

Sophie: (Walks to bodyguard, points at him) Lie down and stay unconscious. You will hear nothing, see nothing and know nothing till the next morning.

Bodyguard slowly lies down and stays motionless.

Daughter enters from stage right. Daughter waits for a while then RHM enters from stage right also.
Sophie moves her hands to direct the moving in of daughter, then to direct RHM in, showing that she is manipulating.


Daughter: (whispers) You’re late.
RHM: Sorry.
Daughter: Cut the crap, let’s get to work. You know the plan.

RHM and Daughter gets ready and takes out weapons. Walks over to Mafia Leader.
Mafia Leader turns and mumbles.
Sophie continues to point her fingers on her head.


Daughter: (whispers) Be as quiet as possible! We must not wake him up yet! Remember the mission. We have a task to complete.

RHM: Now?

Daughter: (Takes a deep breath and nods her head) Now.

Under the control of Sophie, RHM impulsively places the barrel of gun to Mafia Leader’s head.

Mafia Leader: (groggily) What…What’s going on? (sees a gun pointed to his head by RHM and gasps) YOU! You traitor! (sits up in bed) What are you doing? Put that down at once!

RHM: No can do, sir. I have yearned for the place of mafia head for so long, wondering when you would give it to me. (presses the gun barrel deeper into Mafia Leader’s head) I choose to stop waiting. (evil laugh)

Mafia Leader: But…how? (sees his daughter) My darling…Sweet daughter...look, he’s gone crazy. Come, help me persuade him, will you…? (holds Daughter’s hand and with a pleading look)

Daughter wrenches her hand away and looks at Mafia Leader.
Daughter: (shakes head) No. I will not help you. (turns away)
RHM pulls the trigger. Faulty.


RHM: It-It’s not working.
Daughter: (irritated) What’s not working?
RHM: The gun, I think it’s stuck! (tries to fix the gun)
Daughter: Stuck?! (firm arm over Mafia Leader’s neck, Mafia Leader struggles) Shit! I told you to check!
RHM: So what now?!
Daughter: I don’t know, I don’t know!
RHM: We have to kill him!
Daughter: How?!
RHM: That’s what I’m asking you! Why didn’t you plan it properly?
Daughter: Oh so now you’re blaming me?! You were the one who screwed such a simple task up.
Mafia Leader: Let go of me!
Daughter: Shut up! (strangles tighter)
RHM: Now’s not the time to talk about that. Either way we must get rid of this old piece of trash!
Daughter: Damn this!
RHM: Strangle him tighter!
Daughter strangles Mafia Leader even tighter.
After 5 seconds of futile struggling, RHM hits Mafia Leader on the head with his gun. Mafia Leader stops moving and hangs his head down, limp.


RHM and Daughter look at each other. RHM moves to check if Mafia Leader is still breathing.
RHM: Dead.
Daughter: (deep breath) Hit him again to be sure.

RHM hits Mafia Leader on the head with his gun. No response. Daughter nods at RHM, who nods back.
The job is done. RHM and daughter arranges Mafia leader properly back on the bed, like nothing ever happened.


Sophie smiles.
Sophie: Alright, now go back to bed and sleep. Nothing ever happened.
RHM and Daughter pack up and cover the Mafia Leader with the blanket.

Everyone except for Mafia Leader offstage.


Scene 6: Discover death of Mafia Leader

It is time for the Mafia Leader to wake up. Bodyguard wakes up and stretches his back and stands at the side of the bed.

Bodyguard: Oh, why was I lying on the floor the whole night? What happened?

Bodyguard: (Clears throat and steps forward) Sir. (pause) Sir, the leader of the mafia group in Russia will be arriving in half hour's time. Please be prepared. (wait and glances at the Mafia Leader) Sir? (shrugs him gently on the shoulder) Please wake up, (checks watch) it's near noon. (starts to shrug him roughly)

Bodyguard calls Mafia Leader awake a few more times, then reaches under his nose with his fingers.

Bodyguard: (yells towards backstage) Men, help! It’s Sir! He is not right! Help! Somebody!

Followers and RHM rush over to Mafia leader.

RHM: Sir, Sir! (shakes Mafia Leader to find no response. checks if Mafia Leader is alive) Call the ambulance, damn, we can’t. Okay, get someone. Now. (intake of breath) This can't be, it's impossible! (walks a distance away)

Bodyguard: (says in a horrified tone) He is dead.

Sophie walks out slowly from audience and stands at Left Emcee Spot with a smile on her face. She tilts her body slightly to look at what’s going on. Bodyguards and followers observe silence by standing quietly, surrounding Mafia Leader’s bed.

Daughter enters from stage left.
Daughter: What’s going on? What’s all that noise…Father? (sees motionless Mafia Leader) Father! (gasp) What happened?
Follower 1: Sir, please, wake up, the mafia can’t function without you.
Daughter: What happened to you? Father! (clutches the Mafia Leader’s shirt in desperation)

RHM: This is impossible. (Daughter looks towards RHM) There was nothing wrong, he had no medical problems. Nothing. He was invincible, he was never wounded before.
Daughter: (walks forward, faces RHM, and complains) Oh…everything was fine yesterday. (pause) Someone must have set him up, someone must have killed him-
RHM: (Interrupts Daughter) No one predicted this... No one.

Pause.

Daughter: Then…why did he die? (confused expression) It’s not right. After dinner last night we... (cuts off and gasps)

Sudden revelation.
Daughter and Right-hand man slowly turn to face each other.


RHM: After dinner last night–
Daughter: –I had a dream.
RHM: (pause) And so did I.
Daughter: Of holding a gun…

Everyone looks down on the ground, silent for 5 secs.

Bodyguards, Mafia leader remain in position and freeze.
Daughter and Right-hand man walk to the front, and sit at the edge of the stage.


Daughter and RHM: (Softly, in a trance) What…happened last night? What happened last night? Last night? Last night? What happened? What happened? (Keeps repeating, getting softer)

Sophie: The next time you have a nightmare, think again. Maybe it's not coincidental. Maybe it wasn't by chance. Maybe you really are, on the edge of death.

Because for all you know... It could be me. (Smiles)

End Show.