Edited by: Yan Ying (Scene 3)
Scene 3: Where She Meets RHM and Daughter in a Park
Sophie enters from stage left, stands at CSL.
CSL spotlight fades in. There is a bench at CSC.
Sophie: Ma’am, I’ll be out for a bit. Will that be alright? I’ll be back by six sharp.
Orphanage Lady voiceover.
Orphanage Lady: That’ll be just fine, but make it five?
Sophie: Yes ma’am.
Sophie walks done to DSL.
DSL spotlight fades in while CSL spotlight fades out.
Sophie: Two years is a long time. But I’ve been very patient. They think I’m too young to understand, because I didn’t drop a tear during my parents’ funeral. Nor did I the day after, the following week, or the consecutive months. They think they understand more than I do, because they think they are always right. They didn’t know the anger I felt, the anger I still feel, and my desire for revenge. But it doesn’t matter now. I’ve found out all that I need, and I’m ready.
Stagewash fades in.
Sophie walks on and looks around at the imaginary birds etc. She inhales deeply and stretches.
Sophie: Ah~ (relaxes)
She carries a book and walks over to the bench. She sits down on the bench.
RHM and Daughter enter from stage right. They walk, holding hands, from stage right to left. They drop a wallet near the bench but they don’t notice. Sophie sees that and she picks the wallet up and calls towards them.
Sophie: Excuse me! (holds wallet)
RHM and Daughter turn around.
Sophie: Um, you dropped your wallet. (holds out wallet to Daughter)
At this point, RHM and Sophie make eye contact.
Sophie continues staring at RHM as Daughter takes the wallet from her.
Daughter: Thank you, you’re such an angel! What’s your name?
Sophie: (Continues staring at RHM) Sophie.
Daughter: Oh that’s a sweet name! Do you want me to buy you a drink?
Sophie: (Continues staring at RHM) No, there is no need to.
Daughter: (Realizes the connection between Sophie and RHM) Oh um, okay then, thanks again my dear! (takes RHM by the hand and drags him off) Come on, let’s go.
Both RHM and Daughter exit stage left.
Stagewash dims.
Sophie’s eyes seem to twinkle for a moment.
Sophie: I’m sure of it. He killed my parents. He hasn’t changed one bit, has he? That scar he has, it gives him away. Everything will be easier now. And the girl – well, she’s easy. All I have to do is to get closer to them to avenge for my parents. I’ll take it step by step...I can and I will.
Blackout. Everyone offstage.
- Posted By Iffera