September 14, 2009

Drama Script Draft 2

Edited by: Yan Ying (Scenes 1, 2). Iffera (Scene 2, 3, 5).
Added: Scene 4 by Iffera.

Scene 1: Introduction to Sophie, Parents Killed


Sophie enters from Stage Left and stands at CSL.
Father and Mother enter from Stage Right and stand at CSR.
CSL spotlight fades in.

Sophie: (slowly looks up at audience) Hello. My name is Sophie. I am seven years old.
(pause)
I live in an orphanage.
(pause)
My parents died 2 years ago.

CSL spotlight dims.
CSR spotlight fades in.
Father and Mother holding hands. Bright smiles.

Father: Sophie is a good girl. She scores straight As for all her subjects, never talks back to her parents, never disappoints us.
Mother: Such a pretty girl! She’s an angel sent from heaven, a gift no one can take away from us. We are very proud of Sophie.

CSR spotlight dims.CSL spotlight fades in.

Sophie: They died. Because someone from the mafia killed them.
CSL spotlight dims.
Stage Right light fades in.

RHM and 2 Followers enter from Stage Right.
Spotlight on them and light dims from Sophie.

RHM: This is the place?
Follower 1: Positive.
RHM snaps fingers.
Follower 1 grabs Father and puts gun to his head.

Follower 2 grabs Mother and puts gun to her head.

Father: I said we won’t let you have her. She’s just a normal girl, no superhuman abilities, I don’t know where you get that idea from-
Follower 1: Shut up!
Mother: Please let us go, what more do you want? We’ve given you the money, if you want more, just tell us! Sophie’s just a little girl-
RHM: Sophie? So that’s her name, is it? Sophie... It’s a nice name, perfect for a girl like her.
Mother: Don’t hurt her, please!
RHM: Look, I am not to blame. You both made a choice and there’s no going back on it. (tell Followers) Get rid of them, make it quick.

Stage Right light dims.
CSL spotlight fades in.


Sophie: I saw everything. I hid in the bedroom.
(pause)
They didn’t see me.
(pause)
But I know how they look like.
(pause)

And I will find them one day.
Sophie smiles ominously at the audience.
Stage blackout. Everyone offstage.

Scene 2: Sophie’s Abilities Shown

Stagewash fades in.
Sophie is playing a teddy bear by herself in CSC.

Bully with his friends sees Sophie and smiles cheekily before making his way towards her. Friends surround Bully as if he/she is a 大哥大.
Bully snatches the teddy bear.


Sophie: (indignant and angry) Hey! Give that back!
Bully holds teddy bear high up in the air and makes taunting sounds e.g. “nananipupu”
Bully: Hah! Got your teddy now. Aren’t you crying? Like you did when you first came to this place? Ha! You were such a crybaby then. Oh wait, you still are one!

Bully and friends laugh.

Sophie gives stern, warning look that forebodes that something is about to happen.
Stagewash dims.
Sophie slowly walks in front to DSC and folds her arms.
Bullies and friends follow behind Sophie and stand in a row.

Bully: I promise I won’t do it again. It wasn’t intentional. I didn’t do it on purpose! They made me do it, I was forced! I was forced! Don’t kill me! Don’t kill me! Don’t kill me! (keeps repeating but softer)

Friend 1: Mommy, where are you going? Come back! The crocodile’s coming, save me! I won’t be bad again, I promise, you won’t have to scold me ever again! I love you, please mommy! (keeps repeating but softer)

Friend 2: Daddy don’t go! I will never make you sad again, just don’t go, don’t leave me. Where are the doctors taking you? Huh? Daddy please I need you! (keeps repeating but softer)

Friend 3: It should never have happened, the car accident! I see them again – daddy and mommy, and now they’re coming back for me! Don’t take me, don’t take me, I am not ready to go yet! (keeps repeating but softer)

Children cries escalate.

Sophie: STOP!

Children cries stop.
Stagewash snaps out.
DSC Spotlight on Sophie.

Sophie: This is what I can do. They want to use me. They want me and my powers, because this beats everything else – mind reading, speed of light, invisibility, super strength. (pause) But I won’t let them have their way. I won’t be their slave.

DSC Spotlight fades. Everyone offstage.

Scene 3: Sophie meets RHM and Daughter

Sophie enters from Stage Left, stands at CSL.
CSL spotlight fades in.
Sophie: Ma’am, I’ll be out for a bit. Will that be alright? I’ll be back by six sharp.

Orphanage Lady voiceover.

Orphanage Lady: That’ll be just fine, but make it five?
Sophie: Yes ma’am.

Sophie: That’s the worst excuse I’ve come up with. I think I just need some fresh air from the stuffy confines of the orphanage. Life sort of gets dull in there. The neighbourhood is pretty, but there’s nothing interesting. Just more houses down the road and only a pub and a couple of- (notices letter at her foot) What’s this?

Sophie picks it up and looks at it.

Sophie: To the pub? Could deliver it, since it’s just here…
Sophie walks a few steps and light on for the rest of the stage, depicting a pub. Swinging open the door, Sophie receives stares from a bartender at the counter. Nonetheless she walks up and struggles to get herself up on the seat, before shoving the letter in front. She glances to the two people beside her for a moment, who are the RHM and Daughter.RHM downs a cup of wine or something. Daughter can like snuggle up to RHM, like put her arms around him etc. Or RHM can put his arm around Daughter. Just do like random calefare action until Sophie tugs at RHM’s shirt.

Daughter: So…you got anything new recently?
RHM: Yeah. Managed to get a 20 assault rifles at just over a hundred bucks.
Daughter: Really? That’s a great deal! Where did you find it?
RHM: Johnny. He’s head in the weapons market.
(Yeah. Maybe something like that)

Bartender: Hey, you shouldn’t still be here! Thanks for the letter. Off you go now!
Sophie tugs at RHM’s shirt/clothes/etc. RHM turns to look at her.
Bartender: Hey Mr. (addresses RHM) That your kid? (points to Sophie) You know, you shouldn’t bring her to such places.
RHM: No, wait. I don’t know her. She is… (gives bartender a puzzled look) Look, I don’t know who she is…
Bartender: Look, you better take that girl right outside now. (looks at RHM with a fierce look)

Hurriedly, RHM and Daughter exits with Sophie being dragged along. Once outside, RHM bends down to talk to Sophie. Light on pub fades. People in pub freeze.

RHM: Look, I don’t know who you are, and little kids like you shouldn’t be running around out in the open when it’s so late. So turn your little head and head home, okay?

Daughter: Go on, head on home. (addresses RHM) What’s a little kid doing here, seriously…(rolls eyes) Come on…(holds RHM’s hand and drags him off)

Sophie nods, but she continues to stare at them as they leave for a moment. RHM and Daughter exit stage left. Her eyes seem to twinkle for a moment.

[Lights dim, fade out.]

(Sophie’s voice in mike)

Sophie: I’m sure of it. They are the same people. They killed my parents. They haven’t changed one bit, have they? That scar he has, it gives him away. Everything will be easier now. All I have to do is to get closer to them. Even if it’s slowly, I can and I will.

Light fades. Everyone offstage.

Scene 4: Where The Mafia Realises That Sophie Is Still Alive

Light fades on.
RHM and Daughter enter from stage left. They have just returned from the pub and are now in Mafia HQ. Daughter sits on one of the chairs.

Daughter: Whew.. that was fun. (smiles really happily) What a night out. Clubbing, then drinks…(sighs happily) [From here to the end of this part, Daughter can do whatever random things. E.g. playing with her handphone?]

A follower enters and addresses RHM, all the while standing a repsectable distance away from RHM.
Follower: Sir...our research department found something. (hands RHM a document) Do you recall the couple with special abilities that you killed a few years ago?

RHM: Those two? The one that boss wanted dead? Yeah. I remember them. What about? (idly flips through the document)
Follower: Well, turns out that they have a daughter. She is like her parents and she is still alive. Boss wants you to get rid of her. See? Here is a picture of her…(points to a picture on the document)
RHM: Wait a minute…I’ve seen her somewhere before…(sits up and looks closely) Its her! The one from the pub!

RHM, Follower and Daughter freeze. Light on them fades.
Sophie comes out onto the stage from the right, DSR. Spotlight on her.

Sophie: (looks on at the other 3 characters) Great. They found out who I am. I have to act fast. Yes. I will carry the plan out tonight. They will pay for what they did to my parents.

Light fades. Everyone except for Sophie offstage.

Scene 5: When She Manipulates RHM and Daughter to kill Mafia Leader (Climax) [Its changed into RHM and Daughter sleepwalking in real life and they kill Mafia Leader in real life. They don’t really rmb anything cos they are control by Sophie. Frm their POV, they are just sleeping. But afterwards, they will rmb glimpses only (like vague memories of holding a gun)

Sophie is seated on stage floor at DSR. Mafia leader is sleeping on a bed at center stage. Spotlight on Sophie with other areas of the stage still dark.

Sophie: Just need to try… (gives an expression of concentration)
Sophie: (looks at audience) It might have worked. I’m not sure. Slowly, just slowly.

Light fades from Sophie. Focus on other parts of stage. Light can have colour change. Daughter enters from stage left. Daughter waits for a while then RHM enters from stage left also.

Daughter: (whispers) You’re late.
RHM: Sorry.
Daughter: Cut the crap, let’s get to work. You know the plan.

RHM and Daughter gets ready and takes out weapons. Mafia Leader turns and mumbles.

Daughter: (whispers) Be as quiet as possible! We must not wake him up yet! Remember the mission. We have a task to complete.
Finish their preparation. Light on Sophie brightens while the light on the other 3 characters dim.
Sophie moves her hand.
Light flashes back to rest of the stage.
Under the control of Sophie, RHM impulsively places the barrel of gun to Mafia Leader’s head.

Mafia Leader: (groggily) What…what’s going on? (sees a gun pointed to his head by RHM and gives a look of shocked realization and gasps)YOU! (sits up in bed and points at RHM in anger and horror) What are you doing? Put that down at once!

RHM: No can do, sir. I have yearned for the place of mafia head for so long, wondering when you would give it to me. (presses the gun barrel deeper into Mafia Leader’s head) I choose to stop waiting.

Mafia Leader: But…how? (blank expression and snaps back when he sees his daughter and addresses her) My dear…look…he’s gone crazy. Come, help me persuade him…(holds Daughter’s hand and with a pleading look)

Daughter wrenchs her hand away and looks at Mafia Leader.
Daughter: (shakes head) No. (shakes head and turns away from Mafia Leader)
RHM pulls the trigger. Gunshot sound. Mafia Leader dies instantly and falls back onto the bed.

Sophie smiles.
Sophie: Alright, now go back to bed and sleep. Nothing ever happened.
RHM and Daughter pack up and cover the Mafia Leader with the blanket. Both exit stage left. Light fades. Everyone except for Mafia Leader offstage.

- Posted by Iffera