Can Dreams cause us to die?
1. I suppose no one who's ever died during a dream has ever come back to tell us, so how could we really know?
Every once in a while I have these dreams where I'm walking down a path and all of a sudden I trip over a rock or a pothole I didn't see. I wake up with a huge jerk and feel like I've actually fallen down.
I've heard some people say that is how the body wakes itself up again when it starts to have dangerously low blood pressure or breathing rates.
2. I've had the "trip" and awake with a jerk before as mentioned.
However, I've fallen from very, very high places in dreams and did not wake up before impact. I "died" in my dream..and woke when I died in my dream. I've had this happen a few times from various "dream injuries", falling, being shot, etc.
Now that isn't to say it couldn't happen. My guess would be the fright, sensation of the dream maybe causing a heart attack or something...
For what its worth - sometimes I've been "injured" in a dream, but not killed and woken up sore before.
I can tell you that dieing in a dream *is* weird. You wake up like, "whoa! where am I? Oh..whew..I'm in bed..and still alive."
3. I could see someone dying during a dream, if they began to act out their dream while they remained sleeping. But, I don't know what you could technically chalk an incident like that up to, the dream, or acting (sleep walking) out the dream.
Maybe if the dream was so forcefully shocking and mentally damaging, the brain were to flip out, but i don't really know.
I've had the falling dream a few times, but i've always woken up befor I hit the ground. It would always cause me to wake up sweating and kinda scared.
I've never awaken with any physical damage that I received in a dream though.
Reminds me of how scared i was to sleep, even to dream after watching those Freddie Kruger movies.
SOURCE
Regards,
Kai Lin (: